Thursday, May 7, 2009

Don’t give up on possibilities

May 31st 2004. I landed in this city from an intercity Volvo, armed with a hand bag, a huge suitcase and some cash. I had literally run from Mumbai for some solace. Its surprising that a city which houses millions has somehow lost heart for one little girl. But it has and I had realized that. I showed up to work, completed the joining formalities and checked in to the official accommodation provided to me for 3 days. In 3 days I had to come to office and also search for an accommodation, very aware that if I wouldn’t do that soon I’ll be roofless and will not be able to pay for hotel on my own. While leaving Mumbai a close pal had given the number of a girl who at some point was working with us. Working on a strict timeline and not knowing where to start from I decided to give her a call. Leave alone knowing her, I barely even remembered her name. I scratched my head for any clue but in vein. Anyways she treated me with respect and love. As luck would have it, her brother turned out to be a builder and she promptly got me a 1 room studio apartment near her house. The house was a complete mess, despite the promise the broker didn’t bother to even get it cleaned. The previous tenants, a bunch of boys-by the condition of it, had never bothered to even sweep it. Dejected I moved in, when left in situations like these you decide what’s important. A cleanliness freak, I moved in the house and thanked my friend. The girl offered to help me with the groceries and took some meager money from me for the same, post which I left for office. After the long, boring day at training when I came back, I almost cried. She had called some maids from her brother’s construction site and had gotten the whole house washed and cleaned. She bought me a bunch of plastic roses and had left a note behind – “Sorry, that’s all I could do.”

No comments:

Post a Comment